Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Prop 8 upheld

But unfortunately we're leaving the evening on a sour note.

Today Proposition 8 was upheld in the California Supreme Court.

Here's the explanation:
In a 6-1 ruling, the court followed most of the predictions of legal experts, concluding the judiciary would be overstepping its authority if it overturned a gay marriage ban the voters decided to embed in the California constitution. Chief Justice Ronald George, who authored last year's historic ruling striking down the state's prior ban on gay marriage, wrote Tuesday's majority opinion, stressing that the decision is not based on whether the measure "is wise or sound as a matter of policy,'' but instead "concerns the right of the people ... to change or alter the state Constitution itself."


And as I was typing this, my grandmother started asking my cousin and I how we feel about gay marriage, insisting that "it's just not nice" to see two girls getting married. She's an 85-year-old Hispanic woman, so I can't hold it against her. I just hope that things change soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment