Monday, July 26, 2010

Music Monday: Flobots edition

The Flobots, who hail from Denver, Colorado, found mainstream success with their song, "Handlebars." I've been hooked on the Flobots ever since I learned the meaning behind the hit single:
"The lyrics came to me as I was riding a bike home from work with my hands in the air — I had just learned how to do it — and I felt triumphant, but at the same time, I knew there were people at that moment who were being bombed by our own country. And I thought that was incredibly powerful. We have these little moments of creativity, these bursts of innovation, and every time that happens, that innovation is used to oppress and destroy people. So it struck me as beautiful and tragic at the same time." - Jonny 5, MC
All of the band's songs have a really uplifting message - they all center around a theme of justice and social change. One of my favorite lines is from "The Effect:"
To sit and watch the needle peak with Mario C
Reppin' CO and 303
(Speak up, girl)
Even if it's what they're against
Do the Helen Keller and confront male arrogance
...which, of course, is a jab at fellow Coloradoan "band" 3OH!3's and their song, "Don't Trust Me."

They also have a unique sound; their music is a blend of empowering hip-hop lyrics and traditional rock instruments along with a viola (played by a woman!) and sometimes even a trumpet.

And possibly the coolest thing about the Flobots is the organization the members started, Flobots.org, which "works to create positive social change by harnessing the power of music and those who love it. We view music as a tool for therapy, community building, leadership development and action."

I went to a Flobots show a few months ago when they were on tour, and I even had the opportunity to meet some of the band members. They are some of the nicest, most down-to-earth people ever. And their show - their performance - is among the best live I've ever seen.

I highly recommend both albums, Fight with Tools and Survivor Story. Until then, check out their song, "White Flag Warrior" with Tim McIlrath of Rise Against:

No comments:

Post a Comment