Sunday, March 22, 2009

A Night of Female Empowerment

Last night I went to Rollins College to see a performance of The Vagina Monologues. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go because my school is having one this week, and I didn't know how many Monologues I could take. But I'm glad I went because watching it is always an amazing experience. It's such an incredible feeling to find yourself in such a safe space, where it's okay to be open and honest about domestic and sexual violence. Plus it was great to show some feminist solidarity within the whole community, not just my campus.
After the performance, they held a Take Back the Night rally. It was my first one ever, and it was a great experience. I'm helping organize one that will be this Thursday, so I definitely wanted to see how theirs turned out and pick up any pointers. It was very simple and short, but it was still such an emotional and empowering experience. I've been fortunate enough to have never been a victim of any kind of abuse, but I definitely shed a few tears during the speak-out. If you haven't before, but you ever have the chance to attend either The Vagina Monologues or a Take Back the Night rally, definitely go. You won't regret it.


Here is one of my favorite Monologues. What's yours?





- Bianca

No comments:

Post a Comment